Friday, March 20, 2009

YBG Goes to SXSW

Wooohoo! Vacation here I come! I am currently chilling in the Houston Airport, waiting for my connecting flight to Austin, TX, where I'm meeting two of my best friends for South by Southwest. One friend, Elizabeth, is a 3L at UT law school, so I'm going to enjoy the glorious experience of having a "local" as my tour guide for the weekend. Does it get any better than your best friends in a fun city full of awesome music? I'm not sure it does.

SXSW, while a large and crazy multimedia extravaganza, definitely makes an effort to be a greener large and crazy multimedia extravaganza...and despite the fact that cross-country air travel is decidedly NOT environmentally friendly (or cheap), I can feel a little bit better about my weekend's carbon footprint, knowing the steps SXSW is taking to reduce the impact of the week's activities. From paperless planning to promoting films with a green agenda to making lists of sustainable hotels, the event's website has tons of tips and suggestions for greening your festival experience. While it's no burning man, SXSW is taking baby-steps in the right direction.

Additionally, Austin is a very walkable city, so we plan on hoofing it everywhere, saving not only dollars but carbon emissions (and burn off a few calories too). Apparently, there are pedi-cabs too! Just in case we do end up a little fatigued after a long day outside.

I've already done a bit of research on local watering holes, and I think there going to be more than a few local beer options. Local microbrews are something that I will never cease to get excited about each time I travel to a new city.

Finally, if you're trying to find a music festival that won't break your wallett, SXSW is a great one to explore. With ZILLIONS of free events and lots of free music, I'm fairly convinced you can spend the entire weekend eating, drinking, and listening without spending a dime. In fact, we're hitting the Insound's Party the moment I touch down for free music and $2 all-you-can-drink beer. YES, PLEASE!

No comments:

Post a Comment