Friday, March 6, 2009

Seafood Watch 2009

Speaking of sustainable fish, I think it's important my readers know that every year Monterey Bay Aquarium puts out a free pocket guide called Seafood Watch that is "designed to raise consumer awareness about the importance of buying seafood from sustainable sources. We recommend which seafood to buy or avoid, helping consumers to become advocates for environmentally friendly seafood." The little guide easily fits in your wallet and/or purse, and if your budging wallet (full of $1 billz and change, I'm sure) can't handle anything else or you don't have the patience to wait for them to arrive in the mail, there's a new iPhone application (free, obvs) available. The Aquarium also puts out a sushi guide, which follows that same principles as the regular Seafood Watch but also lists the fish with their Japanese names.

Initially, you might feel a little "high maintenance" pulling out your SW card at a restaurant and asking the waiter, "'Scuse me, where is your yellowfin from? Oh the Atlantic? And it was pole caught? Oh then I would definitely like the seared ahi this evening?" But honestly, it's a great conversation starter, and your dinner companions will be impressed by the confidence you showed in making a sustainable decision. Doooo iiiiiit.

2 comments:

  1. I don't get to eat seafood very often - there's not a whole lot of it in Kansas - but when I do I use the self-same seafood guide.

    I love, and miss, the ocean. California is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Seafood Watch guide has been in my wallet from Atlanta to North Carolina to California. It's definitely the best for making sustainable seafood decisions. So glad to hear that the Mid-West is making great decisions as well.

    ReplyDelete