Sunday, February 8, 2009

Is that Vodka Organic?

Last night was my friend Han's birthday.  We all went out and partied our miniskirts off at a fun little place in North Beach called Rosewood Bar.  Now, over the course of the evening, more than a few vodka sodas were consumed by the crew, and as I sit here the morning after, dehydratedly reminiscing about our weak attempt to recreate Beyonce's "Single Ladies" on the dance floor, I also wonder about the eco-impact of the clear beverages that fueled our prancing.  Not only is there a lot of energy that goes into the production of vodka, but it's a highly inefficient way to use the pesticide-covered corn, potatoes, and/or grain grown by farmers around the world.  However, not being willing/able to give up this cheap and oh-so-mixable spirit, I decided there had to be ways to mitigate the impact of our consumption.

A quick search of "organic vodka" on Google turns up plenty of results, so apparently, there are lots of organic options out there.  In fact, Green Daily did a nice, little article that sums up some of the pros and cons of the various green choices, and since I don't have the money or the liver to try them all out (in a timely fashion), I'll let GD do it for me.  Anyway, if I was going to start making the "green choice," I was more interested on the effect that organic vodka might have on my wallet than whether it "has a scent of deep pears."  Let's be honest, unless it's a special occasion or our boss is buying, we drink well drinks, and as long as the vodka doesn't make us gag or sear off our tastebuds, we're going to drink it (I drank enough Popov in college that I generally avoid going there).  Therefore, I was very pleasantly surprised to discover that Rain Organic Vodka is a mere $12.99 for 750ml.  I mean, if Popov is $9.99, you know you're getting a deal.  And guess what?!?!  Rain even tastes good!  Seriously, lots of reviewers agreed on that.

So this is a no-brainer, right?  Cheap, delicious, organic...let's all start buying Rain for our pre-game cocktails and requesting Rain (or other organic options) at our local bars and clubs.  Then maybe, just maybe, the booze gods will smile down at us because of all the pesticides we're avoiding, and make our hangovers that much more bearable.

PS  According to their website, this is a Rainy Sundae (cheesy and delicious-sounding):
Fill blender with ice
Pour 2 parts coffee over ice and let cool
2 scoops vanilla ice cream
2 parts Rain
1 part coffee liqueur
1 squirt chocolate syrup
Blend until smooth.  Pour into glass.  Garnish with whipped topping, chocolate syrup, and a cherry

No comments:

Post a Comment