Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Grief for Being Green

Does anyone else out there get a lot of grief from some of their friends or even strangers because they try to live a sustainable lifestyle? When I tell people I'm a biologist, it is often assumed that I am some crazy-liberal greenie, who is going to stand on my soapbox filled with compost and preach to the world about humanity's evil ways, while green lasers shoot from my eyes, zapping all those who walk by carrying a disposable cup. Or, alternately, I spend all my time in the woods hugging trees and crying over their destruction, while making hemp potholders and waiting for my hair to start dreading.

Well peeps, I hate to break it to you, but the vast majority of us environmentalists are most definitely not either of those people. Sure we have our views, but we don't (usually) judge people because we think differently about the environment. We know we're right, and we'll just wait patiently for you to come around :)
For example, I received the above e-card (which is admittedly pretty funny) from a friend who adores razzing me for being an environmentalist and thinks it's hysterical to mock my "hippie ways" (somehow he misses the fact that I am far more preppie than hippie). And you know what? I laugh right along with him. On day, when green is mainstream, I hope he'll say "You know what, Dale? You were right all along." And I'll just laugh and say "I know."

No comments:

Post a Comment