Thursday, July 9, 2009

My Favorite Kind of Recycling

Raise your hand if you love Craigslist...my hand is most definitely raised (and even waving around a little bit. You know, like that brown-noser from your freshman econ class?). Having spent the last few weekends trying to furnish my new apartment in both the cheapest and greenest way possible, I've realized that "recycling" used furniture is most definitely the way to go. Not only do you save large pieces of wood/metal/plastic from going to the landfill, but you can find some really great stuff for almost nothing. We got a giant, wooden, and very attractive bookcase/shelving unit for $43 because the previous owner had to get rid of it immediately (if not sooner). I also ended up with a great futon-type-thing that was originally $400 at Cost Plus...guess what I got it for? $60!!! Not only did I save $340, but I avoided consuming virgin materials. Not bad, eh? So next time you're looking for new end tables or a bed frame, don't head to Ikea. Hop online and with a little persistence, I promise you won't be disappointed.

PS I tried hard to find things at garage/estate sales here in SF, but speaking from experience, it's pretty much 100% junk at those things. I haven't tried any of the flea markets yet though.

No comments:

Post a Comment